Sunday, May 3, 2009

Austin!

Thursday – Left work early to do my long run since I knew I’d be oinking out all weekend. Finished packing, ate dinner with Steve then headed up to my parents’ house for the night. They live about 10 minutes from the airport which meant I didn’t have to get up at a painful hour for my 8am flight.

Friday – Packed flight to Austin. After dropping my stuff and Tica (Al’s pup) off at the house, Al and I went by Flip Happy Crepes for lunch. I had the tarragon mushroom crepe for lunch (delish) and then we split a berry crepe and a peanut butter dream crepe for dessert. We took our post-lunch bellies to Barton Springs for some lounging and swimming. Barton Springs is a spring-fed swimming pool in the middle of the city. It’s about an eight of a mile long and pretty cool (literally the water is 62 degrees).



Showered up, grabbed a fish taco and watermelon agua fresca (taste just like watermelon juice) before going to a play called The Method Gun that one of Al’s friends had suggested. The play was artsy for lack of a better word. One scene had two of the actors prancing around stage naked with helium balloons tied to their nether regions. Our post-theater critique concluded that neither one of us really got it and that perhaps we should see the movie Streetcar Named Desire since it was the play for which the characters in the play were rehearsing – well, except they were performing the play minus the main characters. We then went to a bar called Emo’s for a few beers and to listen to a few bands. The two opening bands were pretty good but the featured band T Bird and the Breaks was awesome.

Saturday – Headed to the Pecan Street Festival. I was starving by the time we got there so we bought some seafood concoction and cherry lemonade from one of the food vendors. About halfway through the meal I told Al that whatever we were eating was awful but that I so hungry I was going to eat it anyway. She agreed and added that we couldn’t wash the funky taste away with the drink because the drink was just as awful. Oh well – no food poisoning so life goes on. We spent most of the afternoon listening to various bands, watching different performers, and checking out the vendors at the festival. We left there and headed toward another part of the city for some shopping and dinner. The fish taco and steak taco were good but neither one of us could drink the margaritas that we ordered. It must’ve been made with some dirt cheap tequila because it made my nose hairs feel like they could start a fire. We picked up some cupcakes from Hey Cupcake who ran their business out of a trailer then did some people watching and knitting at Joe’s, a coffee house that Al frequented when she was working out of her house. We had planned to go back to the festival to listen to a few more bands but we ended up going back to the house and chit chatting ‘til the wee hours of the morning. BTW, the cupcakes made up for the day’s nasty food and beverage selections.

Sunday – 7:30 a.m. flight back to BWI. I had lunch at my parents’ before driving home in the dreary rain. I was too tired to do anything but lounge around on the couch the rest of the day and had to go to bed early because I was just zonked.

2 comments:

M. said...

What a funfilled packed weekend. That public springfed pool is a bit sketchy lookin!

CherryDeGrassi said...

The pool was awesome! Seemed pretty clean - they were even "vacuuming" the moss of the bottom.