Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Graduations and Farter's Day

Saturday – Met the AARC bunch for week two of the fall distance training program. I honestly thought that anyone doing a later marathon (late November or December) would have a few more weeks to “relax” before the heavy-duty training started, but I was wrong. Despite being about 6 months away from the Philly Marathon, the coaches have us using the same training program used for the Marine Corp Marathon which is one month before Philly. Our prize is a longer training season. So much for having more time to slack off. Anyway, I ran the first 3-4 miles pretty slow so that I could keep some of the newer runners company. About 6 miles into my 14-miler, the skies opened up and it began to rain. At first, the rain was refreshing and a welcome relief from the humidity. But by mile 12 my socks were wet and my shoes were feeling pretty heavy.

The rain stopped in time for our nephew Randy’s graduation party. Since he’ll be going to Mason in the fall, we got him a sweatshirt that he loved. Such a relief since it’s so hard to pick out a gift that’s personal and practical for a 17-year old.

Sunday – Met up with some AARC members for an easy run in Leesburg. The course had a lot of rolling hills so I’m not sure if I’d classify it as “easy”. Steve and I made another trip to Glen Burnie to visit my parents for Father’s Day. Summertime means steamed crabs. Yum-o. The first batch of the summer did not disappoint. After dinner, we played a few games of Ladderball before heading back to NoVA.


No comments: