Wednesday, March 11, 2009

9:09

This is a running entry so if you’re tired of hearing about my running, carry on and come back another day. Although I should warn all of you that there will likely be more running-related entries until after my race.

It’s T-10 days until the National Marathon which means it’s taper time. For you non-runners, tapering is the 2-3 weeks before a race when you’re supposed to run less so that your body is fully rested and recovered for the big day. Some runners hate tapering because it makes them feel “off” not to run like they have been for the last however many months of training. Personally I usually don’t mind tapering because I’m ready for a little break from running after feeling like I’ve had to run for the last 3-4 months. For this race, I’m having a harder time with tapering because of the time change and warmer weather. Nice weather: go outside and run. Sun is still out after work: go outside and run.

I’m also having a hard time tapering this go-round because my last few long runs have gone much better than I expected. I’d love, love, love to finish this race sub-4:00 and am t-h-i-s close; my marathon PR (personal record) is a 4:03:39. To finish in 3:59:59 I need to finish 3 minutes and 40 seconds faster than my PR. This translates to running a 9:09 instead of a 9:18 which is 9 seconds faster per mile than my PR. I know it doesn’t sound like much but when you’re talking about doing anything for 26.2 miles, it’s not as easy as it sounds. When the bottoms of your feet start feeling like they’re on fire, your shoes feel 3 sizes too tight, a toenail or two feel like they’ve been sacrificed to the running gods, the aching in your knees, back, and hips give you a glimpse of your so-called “golden years”, AND your hammies cramp up stepping over a speed bump never mind any kind of hill, every step is a challenge even if you’re not trying to maintain a certain pace.

According to a number of training programs out there, you’re supposed to do your training runs at a slower pace than your actual goal pace. For example, according to Runner’s World’s training calculator, if I want to finish in 3:39:39, I should be doing my long runs at a 10:15-11:33 pace. Through the magic of adrenaline and the ritual of sacrificing your toenails to the running gods, these folks believe that it’s possible to shorten your pace by over a minute during the race. Based on my experience, my race pace is faster than my training pace, but over a minute? I’m not drinking that much of their Kool-Aid. Mine is usually about 30 seconds faster than training pace which means that if my long runs have been averaging a 9:30/9:40, I just MIGHT (big emphasis on might) be able to eek out a 9:09. Maybe. If I don’t get any mysterious aches during the race like I did at MCM. And if the sports drink on the course doesn’t upset my stomach. And if there’s not a strong wind. And if my shoes don’t try to eat my socks like they sometimes do. You get the picture.

So for the next 10 days I’ll be agonizing about all the little things that might go wrong. Chances are we won’t get anymore snow or ice storms this winter so at least I can at least cross that off my list.

No comments: