Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Review of Escape from Corporate America

I bought this book from Amazon on a whim when I was feeling a bit disgruntled about my job situation a few months ago. While I wouldn't go as far as to say I based my decision entirely on this book, I do admit that it helped validate some of the things that I was thinking and doing.


    I thought that the book, despite its topic, was actually a fun read. Skillings has a way of putting a lighthearted spin on the dreary topic of job hate (or dislike if you're not 100% miserable). Her description of the six phases of corporate disillusionment is both dead-on and hilarious. I found myself thinking, "Yup, been there." and feeling like she crawled up inside my gray matter. She not only goes into some of the key reasons people are unhappy with their jobs, but she gives practical suggestions for how to fix or improve your situation even if you can't leave your job. For example, if you want to spend time on a hobby - whether it be sewing, singing, or making Lego sculptures - she has recommendations so that you can devote more time to doing the things that truly make you happy. Some of her recommendations are common sense, but sometimes it's the obvious that we're blind to.

    For you folks that had to deal with me when I was comparing one of my previous jobs to a bad marriage, you'll appreciate the "Break Up with Your Job" section where Skillings compares a bad job to a bad relationship. We've all been there. There's the "boring partner" job that has no spark, but feels safe with its good bennies and nice office. There's the "clingy stalker" job that has you working 60 hour weeks. It wears you out, but makes you feel important and needed. And finally there's the "sugar mama/papa" job that you're tolerating just for the money. BTW, I should mention that the book isn't entirely against working in a corporate environment since there are good companies out there.

    Some of my favorite quotes from the book:
    • If you are not passionate about what you do, then find something that you can be passionate about. There's nothing more depressing than dedicating your days to something that doesn't fulfill you. (Richard Tait, Founder and Grand Poo-Bah, Cranium)

    • There is a perception that risk is negative. To me, risk means getting out of your comfort zone, and that allows you to grow. If you feel the call to do something different, do it. It's actually more of a risk to stay where you are then to move forward in the direction of your dreams. (Marie Elena Rigo, Feng Shui consultant, interior designer, and life coach)
    You can check out Patricia Skillings' website here.

    No comments: