Friday, July 16, 2010

DIY Friday: Replacing a Broken Soap Dish

Today I finally decide to tackle replacing the broken soap dish in our master bathroom's shower. Not only is it broken, but the caulk around it is coming off and nasty. (Yes, Steve does use Irish Spring.)


I did a few searches for how to do this and chose these instructions on eHow. I think I ended up picking these instructions because they were closest to how I would have written the steps. Of course, I would have added pictures.  ;-)

With a chisel and a hammer, I broke off the old soap dish and eventually was left with this:


After more chiseling, I got the back of the old soap dish off and also removed the old cement. I'm a little worried about seeing that cardboard-y looking backing:


I cleaned out any loose cement and debris and spread on a layer of tile adhesive. Kinda looks like frosting doesn't it?


Finally I put the new soap dish in place and decided to tape it place while it sets overnight.

All that's left to do after it dries is caulk around it. Of course, while I was in there I noticed that the existing caulk and grout in some areas needed to be replaced. My 2-hour soap dish project has now been extended to 3 days. I spent the rest of the afternoon removing old caulk/grout and getting the areas cleaned. Tomorrow I'll have to apply the new caulk and grout, and let that dry overnight. The next day I'll have to seal the grout and then wait for that to dry. I think this is what you call scope creep.

2 comments:

AL said...

in the meantime does this mean y'all're the Stinky Grassis?

CherryDeGrassi said...

Hehe. Luckily we have another full bathroom.