Sunday, February 21, 2010

Packing light

I admit, I'm a chronic over-packer. I'm one of those people who packs six outfits for a weekend trip just in case.

Since we're going to be taking the train around Japan, I really wanted to make an effort to pack light. From what I've read, the trains don't have a lot of room, plus I didn't want to schlepp a humungo-sized suitcase from the train stations to our hotels. In order for me to do this whole "packing light" thing, I knew it was going to take some planning and perhaps a load of laundry while we're away. My friends, I think I've done it.

In my 22" x 14" x 9" bag, I have managed to fit:
  • 2 pairs of shoes
  • 4 pairs of pants, including 2 pairs of jeans
  • 7 long-sleeved shirts, 3 short-sleeved shirts
  • 1 cardigan
  • 2 sets of running clothes and a running jacket (yes, there's only one race but who knows what the temps will be like that day)
  • Undies, toiletries, and a few other random things like camera cables

While these outfits aren't going to land me on the cover of Vogue magazine, each top was selectively chosen because it could go with every pair of pants.


It may not be a big deal to you, but for me this is a huge accomplishment. And yes, it does close without me having to sit on it!

No comments: